Friday 2 July 2010

Twinflower Delight

This summer our North East Manager is busy surveying a number of sites where new native woodland schemes are proposed.

This week I came across a lovely sight near a group of Scots pine trees on a heather moor.


The delicate pink flowers are Twinflower (Linnaea borealis) only 2.5" tall. The name of the plant describes the two bell-like flowers which hang on either side of the stem.

Twinflower is a rare plant of the eastern pinewoods and some mature undisturbed pine plantations. The joy was to find such a large clump flowering.


Can you spot the twinflowers in this picture?

1 comment:

Kristina said...

It is my favourite flower! I have never seen so many of them in one place. I'd like to know where you took this photo. I stumbled upon a few on Speyside a couple of summers ago.